Water-resistant eco box challenge plastic packs on building sites
Arvid Nilsson and BillerudKorsnäs join forces to reduce plastic waste on construction sites with a new innovative, water-resistant box made of super-strong cartonboard. The box packs and dispenses nuts, bolts and screws and is a sustainable alternative to plastic boxes.
- We are constantly reminded of the threats to the environment posed by plastic trash, not least to the oceans and ocean life. We decided not to be part of that problem. Conventional packs of screws, bolts and nuts on construction sites are made of plastic and we set out to do something different: to introduce a durable and environmentally friendly box, says Josefin Nordlöw, Marketing Manager at Arvid Nilsson, a major supplier of fastening elements to the construction industry.
The material used instead of plastic is CrownBoard Craft™, a stiff and exceptionally strong cartonboard made of 100% primary Nordic wood fibre, with a multiple-layer structure. The board is made by BillerudKorsnäs and sourced from responsibly managed forests and produced in state-of-the-art, energy-efficient processes. BillerudKorsnäs is ranked by Dow Jones Sustainability Index as the world’s most sustainable packaging company.
To replace plastic boxes, a priority for Arvid Nilsson was water resistance. The box made of CrownBoard Craft can in fact be left outside in the rain for several weeks without collapsing or letting in water. This is due to the strength of the board, the laminated surface, and the converter’s clever packaging design without gaps at the bottom corners of the box. Tests for water resistance, compression strength and converting properties were carried out by the Carton Solutions team at BillerudKorsnäs.
- CrownBoard Craft is one of our new products, engineered especially to offer exceptional strength in demanding applications. This is a fine example of how quality cartonboard can be a sustainable alternative to conventional plastic packaging, says Clas Dahlin, Packaging Engineer, BillerudKorsnäs.
Why cartonboard from BillerudKorsnäs outperforms plastic:
• It is renewable – more trees are planted than harvested, forests keep growing
• It is recyclable – a wood fibre can be recycled up to 4–6 times
• It is water resistant (with surface treatment)
• It is tolerant to low temperatures
• It is strong and durable – holds heavy and sharp objects
• It is stiff and sturdy – stackable, for space efficient transport
• It is strong – for repeated opening/closing of click lock
For further information, please contact:
Louise Wileen Bjarke, Head of Press, +4673-0627877, firstname.lastname@example.org
Clas Dahlin, Packaging Engineer, +4670-1677611, email@example.com
Josefin Nordlöw, Marketing Manager, +4676-526 0555, firstname.lastname@example.org
A waterproof solution: The cartonboard box that replaces plastic packs for screws and bolts. Tested for all weathers, in the lab and on construction sites. Printed and converted on CrownBoard Craft.