Billerud – the company behind PIDA (the Packaging Impact Design Award) – is guided by a bold vision statement: We challenge conventional packaging for a sustainable future. In the assignment for PIDA 2022, we invite the contestants to share this mindset and add new dimensions to a packaging concept. The task is to create a packaging concept that is inspired by nature and challenges the conventional in innovative ways.
Brief 2022: It’s a wild life!
View the full brief
Our nature has evolved over billions of years and over time, fantastic and ingenious solutions have emerged. This year's PIDA competition takes inspiration from nature's fantastic diversity and functions. How can we transfer the smart features we find in nature into innovative packaging solutions?
Today’s consumers find it important to choose products that reflect their values and identity. Not least Generation Z, the world’s largest consumer group, with high demands on lifestyle and sustainability.
The 2022 assignment: It's a wild life!
How can you create a unique packaging solution with inspiration from nature and making it relevant to Generation Z?
Create a sustainable, innovative and functional packaging concept that is inspired of nature and stands out. Use a fictitious brand and create a unique packaging solution. Be innovative, be bold, be playful!
Basic rules of the competition
Entry: A sustainable, innovative, and functional packaging concept for a fictitious brand – with inspiration from nature.
Material: CrownBoard from Billerud.
Target audience: Generation Z – environmentally aware, politically savvy and determined to make a change.
Market segments in focus: Cosmetics & beauty care, premium food & confectionery, luxury drinks, graphical.
- Short film showcasing the experience of your concept and package.
- Slideshow presentation with voiceover. (Max 3 minutes, including film)
- A One-Pager description/explanation of the concept and a product-/package, with an outline or a drawing of the structural design of the package. See One-Pager example.
- Three physical mock-ups/prototypes of your packaging solution.
- NEW: For students not being able to produce physical samples to send in, due to closure of schools during the pandemic, a well-presented concept will be rated on the same basis as physical samples + concept and will be a challenger for the Gold Award as well as all other categories.
Important points of the presentation:
- Start the presentation with a group picture of the project members and display the project name.
- Use 16:9 format.
- Only choose music that you have permission to use – Important for our live cast, royalty free music.
- Try to use good equipment when recording for the best quality
- Please see Documentation Guidelines for further details.